With Christmas holidays just around the corner, there will be plenty of spills from young and old over the festive period. And in some cases this may occur on your precious leather sofas. Here at The Place for Homes we have come across several effective ways to clean up these spills and keep your leather furniture in tip top condition.
- Never ever use or be tempted to use wet wipes on your leather furniture - use a clean lint free damp cloth.
- All leathers are different, so before you use any leather cleaner, test it on a inconspicuous area on the back of the sofa to check for colour fastness and staining.
- Never use an abrasive cloth or product on the leather as this will damage the surface.
- Do not use leather wipes on your sofa unless they are of a make approved by the supplier of your goods as many cheap wipes on the market contain strong chemicals which will break down the protective seal on your leather.
- Never rub the leather as this will do more harm than good.
- Don't leave spills on the furniture as they may be absorbed into the leather causing staining.
- Use a clean lint free cloth to dust your sofas.
- Use a clean dry kitchen towel to blot up any spillages.
- Always blot up any spills as soon as they happen.
- Use a vaccuum cleaner to gently remove dust from the leather's surface.
- Contact the retailer you purchased the goods from to confirm the type of leather your furniture is made from. The retailer will then be able to advise you of the best way to deal with specific stains on your furniture. The treatment will depend on the type of leather your goods are made from. Most retailers will be open from Boxing Day for thier winter sales.
- Contact The Place for Homes on 01446 772927 if you are unable to contact the company you purchased your furniture from and our expert staff will endeavour to help you identify the type of leather your furniture is made from and advise the best course of action.
- At The Place For Homes we have a range of products that are suitable for removing specific stains from your sofas. These can only be supplied once we are clear on the type of leather your furniture is made from.
Don't panic, the majority of stains including ink can be removed from your sofa safely. The most important thing to remember is do not try and remove the stain using any household cleaning products, but instead concentrate on soaking up any spills quickly with clean kitchen towel. The Place for Homes can provide you with all the information you need and put you in contact with our professional upholsterers to remove or repair your sofas in the most extreme cases.
So relax and enjoy your leather furniture this Christmas!!